Home
Thai Version
  History
  Abbot
  Buddhist's Discipline
  Upasaka Dhamma
  Ease Anger
  Painting
  Vesak Day
  Meditation
  Mahasati
  Bhasita
  Dhamma for life
  Map
  Video
 
 
 
 
History
             Wat Somanas Vihara is a second grade royel monastery. It was established by King Rama IV (who was a monk for 27 years before he ascended the Throne) in 1853 in memory of Her Royel Highness Princess Somanasvatanavadee, His first beloved Queen (Her Royal Highness Princess Somanasvatanavadee was born on Sunday, December 12, 1834, married in 1851 and passed away in 1852). This monastery was formally named Wat Somanas Rajavara Vihara in Her memory.

             The sanctuary (Buddhavasa) and the monastic area of the monastery ( Sanghavasa) have been clearly delimited. The former, which is in the middle, comprises the Phra Ubosatha (Church), the Phra Vihara ( Assembly Hall), the Cloister and the pagoda. The latter, located alongside the sanctuary is the dwelling compound of monks and novices.
Wat Somanas Vihara

             The monastery has started a Meditation Teaching Course in the Phra Vihara (Assembly Hall) on the first and the third Saturdays of every month and on each Buddhist Holy Day (Wan Phra) four times a month.

 
WARNING : The temple is not associated with the "guides" roaming on its premises.
© Copyright 2004 Watsomanas.com All Right Reserved.